Sunday, July 27, 2008

Back from Nashville


Nashville was So Great!!!



It was probably my favorite mission trip I have been on so far. We were constantly busy all day long and had the opportunity to do several types of service, and the group of people we went with was wonderful. I have so many fun stories but I'll try to condense it a little. Each day we did something different, but we always went to the Boys and Girls Club. That was fun! We pretty much just hung out with the kids there and helped out whenever we were needed. The kids were crazy but so loveable. One of my favorite things, was going to the mission in the morning. We woke up around 4:00 AM and went to the mission to serve breakfast. They only serve men there and they were all different ages and from different backgrounds. The reason it was my favorite, was because I had the opportunity to greet each one of the men. I was "ice girl" so as each person passed by, I got to say good morning and hand them their cup. I think I liked it so much because God was just like "kelsey I made each of these men and love each of them dearly, imagine how they feel when people are scared of them or purposefully ignore and pass them by". God gave me a way to show them love by simply filling their cups with ice and smiling at them. There were so many different places we served and people we met.. most of it is recorded on http://www.blogatthevine.blogspot.com/. It's our youth pastor's blog, you should check it out! Especially since I can't write all of it.
Every time I go on mission trips, I'm reminded of how priveledged and fortunate I am but this year it was more than that. As I've grown up and as God has revealed himself more, I realize that there's way more to learn than just how we take materials and family for granted. This year it was about how these people must feel. It was about stepping into their shoes and seeing life as they do. To have people constantly pass you by and avoid you, to have judgements and assumptions define you, to have no or very few words of encouragement, to have no home or no way of supporting yourself, to live in fear of when your next meal will be there or if your going to be safe when you fall asleep.. all of that must be so draining and must create a hopeless and lonely life. I guess what God was ultimately teaching me is that life with out him is hopeless and that there are people living with out him feeling that hopelessness... what am I going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment