Tuesday, November 10, 2009

velvet elvis.


Seriously, this book just amazes me. Rob Bell is incredibly wise and gives a great, different perspective on God and life with God. This book covers a whole bunch of great stuff and it's hard to choose favorites. I'm almost mad that I finished the book because there is so much to learn! He talks about what it looks like to be Jesus' disciple and to view him as our Rabbi and what his "yoke" is, and faith and our freedom in Christ, and about truth and the Bible, and the art of questioning, and about our identity and how we are new creations, and bringing God's Kingdom here... It's all good! I'm sure if I read it again, I'd find several completely new things to learn. Rob Bell definitely looks at things from a different perspective that is challenging. I recommend that as you read, do so slowly so that you do not miss out on anything!
".. maybe it means teaching people to use their eyes to see things that have always been there; they just didn't realize it.. so the issue isn't so much taking Jesus to people who don't have him, but going to a place and pointing out to the people there the creative, life-giving God who is already present in their midst." (Rob Bell "Velvet Elvis" p.88)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelsey,
    I loved this book too! So much infact I will be rereading it again. I'm sure I'll get new things out of it then too.
    ~BZ

    ReplyDelete