Sunday, March 15, 2009

y-not love.

Just in this past weekend I have been exposed to some pain that Christians, the church, has caused people. I always hear from movies or leaders of other's stories about the church causing them pain: how the church had treated them poorly or how they felt outcasted and out of place or that Christians they encountered were judgmental. The past two days, however, I've been able to talk with two very great ladies about their "church history". One had told me she felt her church growing up was just completely superficial. That everyone seemed only concerned with telling other's faults and reminding them of their sin. She said the people were just so judgmental and she really didn't want to be apart of something like that. The other woman I had spoken with told me the church had hurt her very badly. She had trusted the people and the pastor but then some things happened and she felt that the rug had been pulled out from underneath her. She was shocked and completely devastated and hurt. In her own words, this woman told me it felt like a divorce. That returning to church was like trying to date and Ex-husband: awkward, scary, and hard. I have never been exposed to real life stories like this from people I know. I'm heartbroken!

It makes me so mad and sad that Christ's church has treated people like this. As followers we are ambassadors of Christ. When you choose to follow him, you have chosen to be like him which means you have chosen to LOVE people. I know I am not perfect, but I hope I am always intentional with my words and actions. That they will always be filled with life and love because if not, the consequences are sad and painful.

1 comment: